April 15, 2015
Below preparation of Podimas Serves 3 to 4
Ingredients for Podimas
- Potato – 4 to 5 Medium sized
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Green Chillies – 1 or 2
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Spilt Urad Dal – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
Directions to prepare Podimas
- Boil the potatoes, skin them and mash them with big pieces.
- Heat the frying pan and splutter the mustard seeds in hot oil. Then add channa dal and stil them until dal turns golden. Add chopped green chillies, curry leaves and ginger cut in to small pieces (grated).Fry them roughly for a minute.
- Add salt, mashed potatoes and turmeric powder and cook uncovered for around 5 minutes.
- Remove from stove and add lemon juice and mix properly.
- Rice and Rasam will be a good combination along with podimas
Note: Podimas is a Palakkadan dish where potatoes are mashed and tempered, added with typical Indian spices as well as herbs. This is a satwik dish without any onion and garlic. It is a simple dish which can be made in 25 minutes and are goes well with either chapati or rice and Rasam
Some History on Palakkadan dishes
Home to bustling Tamilian community, Palakkad has distinctive cultural tradition of its own that is a perfect combination of the best influences from Kerala’s and Tamil’s traditions. The locals of also have their very own style of cookery as well. The cuisine of Palakkad has several indigenous traditions. In a similar manner like traditions, recipes in the houses of this town have been passed on from generations to generations.
The Brahmins of Palakkad are known to have their own culture, quite unique in itself. Even the men of the family are well-versed with the art of cooking and can manage the kitchen well. This city is well-known for churning-out some of the world’s best recipes. Although a major of chunk of population of this place is vegetarian but there are some non vegetarians as well. While rice is staple food, there are certain other popularities as well including various kinds of Vatthals and Pickles, Sambhar, Rasam, Injippuli and Koottucurry. There are some specialties of Palakkad too such as Ada, Madhura Dosa, Sukhiyan, Kozhukkatta and Vatthal Kozhambu.
There are some recipes that are prepared only on special occasions like weddings, a family get together or a religious ceremony. Molaguvellam, Olan, Rasakalan, Pulingari Mulagoshiam, Kalan, Erisseri and varieties of Prathamans are some of such delicacies. Most of these dished are mainly prepared in coconut oils and coconut pieces are added in abundance. Rice powder and Tuvar dal are added to most of the dishes in the form of a thickening agent generally added in every dish. Food in Palakkad is spicy and green chilies are used in abundance.
There are various options for people who love sweets such as Boondi, Laddu, Ravakesari, Jalebi and Mysorepak. Along with the main dishes, there are some snacks too that Cheeda, Thatta, Ribbon Pokkavada and Murukku.
Along with these, there are certain exclusive dishes of Palakkad that you can enjoy in platter such as Nellikka arachu kalakki, Pavakka pitla, Idichchupizhinja payasam, Rasavangi, Palada pradhaman and Arachchuvitta sambhar.
The food of Palakkad is largely associated with the history of the regions community and their traditions. Tamilian influences are also found in the cooking of communities like Palakkad chettiars.
Related recipes you might be interested
- Pacha Sambar recipe Serving Size of Pacha Sambar recipe:
Ingredients for Pacha Sambar recipe:
1.Coconut oil: As per requirement
2.Methi leaves: 1 bunch
Green Chilli : 4 ends siced
3. Tuar Daal: 120 […]
- Cabbage Sooji Upma Serving size: 4
1. 2 cups Rava or Sooji or Rave
2. 1 and 1/2 cups finely chopped cabbage.
3. 2-3 green chillies.
4. 2 tsp Vangibath powder
5. 1/4 fresh finely grated […]
- Cabbage Vada Serving size: 10- 12 vadas
1. 1 cup Whole Black Gram (skinned) Lentils (Urad Dal Gota)
2. 2 tsp Rice flour, optional (see Tips)
3. 3/4 cup grated Cabbage, see […]
- Cabbage Pachadi Serving size of Cabbage Pachadi:1 cup
Ingredients for Cabbage Pachadi:
1. Cabbage - 1/2 (finely chopped)
2. Green Chillies - 10
3. Oil - 5 tbl spoons
4. Cumin Seeds - 1 tbl […]
- Fish Masala Pickle Serving Size: 1 jar
Seer Fish (Neyimeen) - 1/2 kg (chopped and cleaned)
Red Chilly Powder
Gingelly Oil - 4-5 tbl […]
- Fish Tomato Curry recipe Serving Size: 2
Ingredients for Fish Tomato Curry recipe:
Any fish fillets boneless, skinless, halfed - 500 gms (I used Salmon)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp […]
- Vegetable String Hoppers Serving Size: 4
25 string hoppers or Angel Hair Vermicelli rice noodles, cooked, cooled & cut into short noodles.
1/2 medium-sized onion, cut fine sliced
2 tbsp […]
- Gobi Masala |Cauliflower Masala Cauliflower Masala or Gobi Masala can be served as a side dish along with Rice or Chapati. This recipe incorporates the true taste and aroma of the Great Indian spices.
- Chicken Stew Kerala style
Chicken Stew is an easy recipe that makes for a good side dish with Appam, palappam or Pathiri which is a popular breakfast fare in Kerala. Chicken and potatoes simmered in coconut […]
- Fish Molee (Fish Curry in Coconut Milk) Serving Size: 4
Boneless and Skinless Fish fillets – 10 to 12 pieces (I have used King Fish and Tilapia)
Cinnamon Sticks (Patta) – 2 half inch pieces
- Drumstick Green Theeyal Serving size: 2-4
Drumstick - 2
Shallots - 10
Curry leaves - few
Fenugreek -1/4 tbsp
Coconut -1/2 shell grated
Tamarind - 1 lemon […]
- Plantain curry or Vazhakaya pirattu Serving Size: serves 3
Plantain/ vazhakkai 2
Turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
Salt As needed
Oil 1 tblsp
Coconut, grated 3-4 tblsp