Serving Size: serves 3
Plantain/ vazhakkai 2
Turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
Salt As needed
Oil 1 tblsp
Coconut, grated 3-4 tblsp
Jeera/ cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Red chillies 3-4
Oil 2 tsp
Mustard 3/4 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves 1 sprig
1. Cut off the two ends of the banana and peel the skin with the use of peeler or knife. Cut into two halves length wise and then slice into thick pieces as show in the picture. Keep it immersed in water. Mean while, Grind first red chillies and coconut into paste with water in a blender.
2. Add onion and jeera lastly and give it a rough grind. Heat kadai with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table.
3. Add the cut banana and give it a stir. Add ground paste, turmeric and salt. Add 1/4 cup water and mix well.
4. Cook covered in low flame for 3-4 minutes. Once all the water absorbed, cook in medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Turn in between to avoid burning. Cook until golden crust is formed.
1. Use the water that we drain after washing rice (ariso mandi or Kazhani) to keep the plantain immersed. This helps in removing the stickiness of the plantain.
Avakaya Pickle Serving Size: makes almost 1 kg
4 cups Mango pieces of 4-5 medium raw sour Mangoes (pickle variety,see the notes)
1 cup Mustard seed powder(ground from 1 cup mustard […]
Bitter Gourd Thoran | Pavakka Thoran Thoran ( Bitter Gourd Thoran )is traditional preparation of finely chopped vegetable in spices and grated coconut. For the preparation of Bitter Gourd thoran very less oil is used so is […]
Suran ki subji | Chenna erissary | Chena pirattu Elephant foot yam ( for preparing Chena pirattu ) is other wise know as jimikand or suran in Marathi and Hindi, oal in Bengali, suvarna gedde in Kannada, Chenai kizhangu in Tamil, chena in […]
Big lemon pickle | Vadukapuli Achar Big Lemon or Vadukapuli ( Lemon pickle ) is the achar which is being served in Sadhya or a good vegetarian meal. It is also known as naranga curry. Lime pickle is the most sought after […]
Chambakka Pickle | How to make Chambakka Pickle Chambakka is abundant during summer. You can make chambakka Jam, Chambakka wine or Chambakka pickle. Here is my mother recipe for Chambakka pickle. Chambakka, a bell shaped fruit is also […]
Asparagus Root Pickle Serving Size: 2 Pints
Ingredients for Asparagus Root Pickle:
30 asparagus spears
1/3 cup coarse salt
2 quarts cold water
1 2/3 cups distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup sugar
Cabbage recipe | Cabbage Poriyal recipe
Poriyal or Cabbage poriyal is a Tamil word used for Saute or stir fried vegetable dish. Here chopped or grated the cabbage tossed with a generous amount of grated coconut. The […]
Cabbage Pachadi Serving size of Cabbage Pachadi:1 cup
Ingredients for Cabbage Pachadi:
1. Cabbage - 1/2 (finely chopped)
2. Green Chillies - 10
3. Oil - 5 tbl spoons
4. Cumin Seeds - 1 tbl […]