Bitter gourd tomato curry | Kakarakaya Tomato Kura
June 20, 2015
Bitter gourd tomato curry or Kakarakaya Tomato Kura is a nice dish that can be served with rice, bread, rotis or chapatis. Bitter melon is a vegetable with low calories but with high nutritional values. People drink bitter gourd juice to alleviate few medical conditions. It is also rich in iron, calcium and potassium.
Kakarakaya Tomato Kura |Bitter gourd tomato curry
- Bitter gourd( Kakarkaya) - ½ kg
- Tomato - 4 medium sized
- Green Chilly - 4
- Onion - 2 medium
- Garlic - ⅘ cloves
- Jeera - ½ tbsp
- Mustard - ¼ tbsp
- Salt - As per teste
- Chilli powder - As per your spice tolerance
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tbsp
- Curry leaves - 2 leaf lets
- Pulses (popu ginjalu) - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 2 - 3 tbsp
- To prepare kakarakaya tomato kura, first you need to gather bitter gourds, tomato, onion and green chili.
- After gathering all the above, wash the bitter gourds along with tomato, onion and green chili.
- Cut the bitter gourds into small tiny pieces (easy to cook in less time), and then cut the tomatoes, onions and green chilies also into small pieces.
- Take a utensil and pour 3 table spoons of oil into it, let the oil heat
- After the oil heats, put some curry leaves, slightly smashed garlic cloves, ½ tbsp. of jeera, ¼ tbsp. of mustard, 1 tbsp. of pulses and let them fry for half a minute.
- After that, put the sliced onion and green chili into the already fried mixture in the utensil and let the onion fry until they become slight red in color.
- Then add the already cut bitter gourd pieces and let them cook for ten minutes and add the tomatoes at the end.
- Cook the bitter gourd and tomatoes properly, then add the required amount of salt and red chili powder, and mix everything properly.
- Then, put the stove in simmer position and let it cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- The tasty kakarakaya tomato kura is ready to serve.
The bitter gourd pieces should washed and squeezed in salt water before frying to reduce the bitterness.
Other bitter gourd recipes worth try are Bitter Gourd Thoran / Pavakka Thoran
, Bitter gourd tomato curry
, Bitter Gourd Stuffed or Bharwa Karela
, Bitter Gourd (Pavakka) Theeyal
and Bitter Gourd Curry
Related recipes you might be interested
,Meal / course