Coconut Chutney Powder/Chammanthi Podi Kerala style / Nadan Chammanthi Podi
July 13, 2014
Serving size: 1 cup
Grated coconut- 2 cups (really dry coconut is used)
Whole red chilies- 10 -12 or as much as u want
Small onion/ cheriya ulli – 6-8(cut into small pieces)
Urad dal/Uzhunnu parippu- 2 tsp
Black pepper corns- 1 tsp
Asafoetida / Kaayam- 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Tamarind – a small lime size
Salt to taste
1. In a wide heavy bottom pan dry roast the coconut ,chilies,small onion,curry leaves, urad dal,pepper corn till the coconut becomes deep brown stirring it constantly till it is done.
2.Add asafoetida ,salt and tamarind to the mixture and let it cool.
3.Coarsely powder it and store it in air tight container.
Tips:It can be used immediately along with bland curries such as paripu curry ,moru curr or curd rice etc. Will stay good for a month in room temperature.If u are making large quantities then it can be refrigerated but once refrigerated bring only small amount to room temperature and use it fast.
1. In this recipe, dry Kashmiri red chilli is used to get nice color of powder and make it less spicy. If it is not available then you can also use normal dry red chilli, but add only 1-chilli because it makes the powder spicy.
2. Make sure that all ingredients are cooled properly and are at room temperature before grinding otherwise you will not get delightful powder consistency.
3. Store it in an airtight container and consume within 12-15 days or you can keep it in refrigerator up to 20 days.
4. If you want to use fresh coconut then roast it over low flame until all moisture is evaporated and it turns light brown. Stir continuously while roasting.
Chicken Stew Kerala style
Chicken Stew is an easy recipe that makes for a good side dish with Appam, palappam or Pathiri which is a popular breakfast fare in Kerala. Chicken and potatoes simmered in coconut […]
Chana masala | Bengal Gram Curry Chana masala or Chole masala or channay or Chholay masala is a popular dish in India and Pakisthan. It can be served along with Rotis or rice. Chole is popular in North India especially […]
Avial | Avial recipe | How to cook Avial Avial is a dish originated in Kerala. it is an integral part of a Sadhya. Avial is a common dish in Kerala, Tamilnadu and Udupi. It is a mixture of vegetables in grated coconut and […]
Vadukapuli Pickle (curry Lime) Serving Size: 2-4
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 8 tsp
Ginger - 4 tsp
Green chillies - 6 nos
Naranga/Vadakapuli( Cut in to small pieces) - 2
Cabbage Pachadi Serving size of Cabbage Pachadi:1 cup
Ingredients for Cabbage Pachadi:
1. Cabbage - 1/2 (finely chopped)
2. Green Chillies - 10
3. Oil - 5 tbl spoons
4. Cumin Seeds - 1 tbl […]