Aloo Chana Masala | Aloo Chole recipe
July 17, 2016
Aloo Chana Masala is a Punjabi recipe made from white chickpea blended with Indian spices, cooked in spicy grevy and served with either hot Pooris or Bhature. A must try recipe to know the taste of Punjab.
Aloo Chana Masala | Aloo Chole
- 1 cup dried chickpeas or white chana or chole
- 3 to 4 potatoes
- 3 to 4 water cups for pressure cooking
- Salt as need
- 1 bay leaf patta
- 3 to 4 cloves/lavang
- 5 to 6 black pepper
- 1 inch cinnamon/dal chini
- 2 black cardamoms/big elaichi or normal elaichi
- 2 tsp dry sookha anardana or pomegranate seeds
- 6 to 7 tsp water for grating the pomegranate seeds
- 3_4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilies or as need slit or sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- 2 tbsp ghee or 2 tbsp oil
- ½ inch ginger/adrak julienned
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves / dhania patta
- Salt as need
- Douse the dried chickpeas or chole in adequate water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours. Drain the water.
- Wash the potatoes well in a pressure cooker, add the chickpeas, potatoes and 3 to 4 cups water. Set Pressure cook on medium to high flame for 7 to 9 whistles.
- Remove the potatoes and pare and quarter or dice them.
- Stress the stock of the chickpeas and hold it aside.
- Make a well powder of the spices noted under the chana masala powder and list in a dry grinder.
- Make a paste of the dry pomegranate seeds. Hold aside. If you want you can strive the pomegranate seeds paste.
- In a kadai or pan, get the drained chickpeas and raise in the pomegranate seeds paste.
- Cook on a low to average flame stirring at times, till the liquids dry up.
- Now add potatoes, tomatoes, green chilies, turmeric powder, red chili powder, the ground chana masala powder, salt and 1 cup of the filtered chana stock.
- Shift good and let the groom cook for 8 to 10 minutes on low to average flame.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp oil or ghee in a small or medium pan.
- Add this hot ghee or oil to the chana mixture. Shake and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- After this, add ¾ to 1 cup water and extend to cook for remaining 4 to 5 minutes or till the gravy heaviness.
- Check the taste of all the things and add more salt if need. Heat the remaining ½ tbsp ghee or oil in the same small or medium pan and add up the hot oil or ghee to the chana masala.
- Switch off the fire and touch in the ginger juliennes, coriander riffs and green chilies.
- Now, Aloo Chana Masala is ready. Serve Masala hot with friends.
Punjabi cuisine is the foods associated with Punjab region of both Pakistan and India. Due to spread of Punjabis all over the world Punjabi cuisine is well know in many parts of the world.
Related recipes you might be interested
- Chana masala | Bengal Gram Curry Chana masala or Chole masala or channay or Chholay masala is a popular dish in India and Pakisthan. It can be served along with Rotis or rice. Chole is popular in North India especially […]
- Bhatura | How to make Bhatura Batoora, Bhatoora or bhatura , is a kind of fluffy and deep-fried leavened bread which is a North Indian dish. It is often eaten with chickpea curry, chole or channe, curd and salad […]
- Gobi Masala |Cauliflower Masala Cauliflower Masala or Gobi Masala can be served as a side dish along with Rice or Chapati. This recipe incorporates the true taste and aroma of the Great Indian spices.
- Gujarathi Poori Serving Size: 2-4
Maida (All purpose flour) - 500 gms. (2 1/2 cup)
Salt - 1 tea spoon.
Cumin seeds - 1 tea spoon.
Carom seeds - 1 tea spoon.
Black pepper - 20 […]
- Vegetable String Hoppers Serving Size: 4
25 string hoppers or Angel Hair Vermicelli rice noodles, cooked, cooled & cut into short noodles.
1/2 medium-sized onion, cut fine sliced
2 tbsp […]
- Matar Paneer Masala | Matar Paneer Recipe Indian dishes are considered as one of the most delicious and palatable cuisines on a global level. The blend of spices and the concoction of vegetables and their combination is certainly […]
- Banana Pancake |How to make Healthy Banana Pancake An easy recipe for Kids who hate the regular foods. Banana Pancake is nutritious and easy to cook too. This sweet and fluffy Banana pancake is a perfect way to start your morning or can […]
- Paneer Makhani recipe | How to prepare Paneer Makhni Batons of paneer or Indian cottage cheese simmered in satin smooth tomato gravy accentuated with aromatic kasoori methi. Paneer Makhani is a rich dish with a dash of cashew(optional) and […]
- Aloo Bonda | Batata Vada | How to make Aloo Bonda If you live in Mumbai then surely you had been eating Aloo Bonda or Batata Vada as a street food. It is one of the favorite snacks of Mumbaikers. Vada pav is prepared using Aloo Bonda, pav […]
- Bharwa Baingan | Stuffed Brinjal (egg plant)Curry The term eggplant (englisg term for bengan ) (used to prepare Bharwa Baingan ) was first seen in literature from 1767 for the white varieties which resembles hen or goose eggs.It is also […]
- Kadai Paneer
Kadai paneer is a slightly spicy and tangy gravy mix of cottage cheese which is mostly cooked with farm fresh tomatoes, freshly ground coriander and dry ground red chilies in a Pan […]
- Cucumber Raita | Step by step Cucumber Raita recipe Indian dish Raita has many cousins worldwide with different texture, taste and consistency. Dips are one of them. A common Greek recipe tzatziki is another. You cannot imagine serving […]